What does three lines under a letter mean?
Three lines under a lowercase letter mean to make it a capital. One line under a word means to set in italics. A series of strikethroughs means to remove underlining. A wavy line means to set in boldface. This mark means to close up space.
What should you look for when revising?
When you are satisfied with the structure and content of your essay, it is time to check for grammar, spelling, typos, and the like. You can fix obvious things right away: a misspelled or misused word, a seemingly endless sentence, or improper punctuation. Keep rewriting until your words say what you want them to say.
What do you need to be sure of in proofreading?
PROOFREADING CHECKLIST: 10 THINGS TO HAVE IN MIND
- Read paper slow and out loud.
- Change the look of the document.
- Use a ruler or blank sheet for sentence lines.
- Highlight every punctuation mark.
- Use the search function.
- Track frequent errors.
- Prioritize errors from least to the most important one.
What is the first step for revising a paragraph with run on sentences?
Count the number of sentences and multiple by two. Figure out how many complete thoughts are in the paragraph. Place periods at the end of each complete thought.
What the word Stet is used in proof correction?
Why the word ‘stet’ is used as a proof correction sign in drafts? Ans. Stet is used to ignore the corrections dotted underneath the matter. The dotted matter may be treated as let it stand and do not delete the same.
How do I get better at proofreading?
Tips For Effective Proofreading
- Proofread backwards.
- Place a ruler under each line as you read it.
- Know your own typical mistakes.
- Proofread for one type of error at a time.
- Try to make a break between writing and proofreading.
- Proofread at the time of day when you are most alert to spotting errors.
- Proofread once aloud.
What does Stet mean in law?
“stet docket” is simply a colloquialism referring to the fact that the case is inactive. The charges are not dropped, nor is the defendant determined to be innocent or guilty. Instead, the case is simply put on hold indefinitely.
What is the sign for a new paragraph?
A paragraph symbol, ¶, also called a pilcrow, is used in editing to show where a new paragraph should start.