What is produce season in trucking?
It is a short-term, planned surge in shipping volume, beginning every spring as the temperature rises and fruits and vegetables are ready for harvest. Produce season starts in the southern U.S. and moves north throughout the summer.
What is produce season?
What is Produce Season? Produce season in the U.S. typically begins in February and continues through July. It can be defined as the time period in which the largest volume of fruits and vegetables are harvested and shipped to food manufacturers, grocery stores, and other vendors across the country.
What produce is in season in Florida right now?
March. Grapefruit, oranges, strawberries, tangerines, carambola, guava, papaya, peanuts, broccoli, collard greens, lettuce, spinach and other leafy greens, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, corn, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, eggplant, mushrooms, radishes, snap beans and squash.
What are the fruits and vegetables in season?
California Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables
- Apples, late summer through fall (cold storage until spring)
- Apricots, late spring through early summer.
- Artichokes, spring and again early fall.
- Arugula, available year-round but best in spring and fall.
- Asparagus, best in spring and early summer.
What is slow season for trucking?
January through March: Enjoy Your Home Time It’s the slow time of the year. This is the time of year where drivers get to spend some extra time at home – enjoy it! Taking extended time off is difficult while the industry is busy.
How do you make a haul?
How to Transport Fresh Produce
- Hydro-cool produce in a sink filled with cold water, or spray sturdy vegetables with cool running water.
- Pack produce into sturdy, opaque, breathable containers.
- Keep all produce well shaded during transport.
What produce is in season in January?
What’s in season in January?
- Lemons, oranges, grapefruit.
- Beets, turnips, celery root.
- Cabbage, kale, collards, broccoli, cauliflower.
- Butternut squash, acorn squash.
What’s in season February?
What’s in Season in February?
- Blood oranges and lemons. Blood oranges are peaking now, these juicy ruby wonders timed perfectly for Valentines Day.
- Swiss chard, kale, and collards. It’s still the season for sturdy winter greens.
- Sweet potatoes.
What fruit is in season by month Florida?
Florida Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables
- Avocados: June through January.
- Bananas: August through October.
- Basil: March through November.
- Blueberries: April through June.
- Broccoli: October through May.
- Broccoli raab: October through May.
- Brussels sprouts: November through March.
- Cabbage: November through June.
What is the easiest fruit to grow in Florida?
Figs are an easy fruit to grow in Florida. They prefer full sun and Plenty of room to grow. Figs can get 12-15 feet tall and the same wide.
What food is in season January?
Top picks include beetroot, Brussels sprouts (they’re not just for Christmas), cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, chard, celeriac, Jerusalem artichokes, kale, leeks, parsnips, swede, potatoes and sweet potatoes as well as turnips. Peppers are also slowly coming into season.
Does trucking slow down in the winter?
It is a bit slower in the winter months. I also started this last January. Look at it this way: as a new driver you probably don’t expect the Big Miles in your first month.