How do you value and respect diversity at work?
Ways to support diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace
- Be aware of unconscious bias.
- Communicate the importance of managing bias.
- Promote pay equity.
- Develop a strategic training program.
- Acknowledge holidays of all cultures.
- Make it easy for your people to participate in employee resource groups.
- Mix up your teams.
Why should we care about diversity and inclusion?
Businesses should care deeply about diversity and inclusion. A diverse and inclusive workplace is the best way to increase performance and innovation. Diversity and inclusion matter because the more they are obtained in the workplace and society, the closer we’ll get to a state of true acceptance of one another.
What are the benefits and challenges of a diverse society?
Diverse cultural perspectives can inspire creativity and drive innovation. Local market knowledge and insight makes a business more competitive and profitable. Cultural sensitivity, insight, and local knowledge means higher quality, targeted marketing.
Why is inclusion important to society?
In fact, social inclusion is an important “determinant of health” – without inclusion, people are more likely to experience poor health (including poor mental health), loneliness, isolation, and poor self esteem. Many people with disabilities unnecessarily experience life quite differently.
What obstacles get in the way of effective communication and how can we remove some of the barriers identified?
Common Barriers to Effective Communication:
- The use of jargon.
- Emotional barriers and taboos.
- Lack of attention, interest, distractions, or irrelevance to the receiver.
- Differences in perception and viewpoint.
- Physical disabilities such as hearing problems or speech difficulties.
How will you communicate effectively across cultures?
The strategies below can be effective when communicating across cultures. Learn about different cultures and values: Both within and outside the US. Use shared language: Avoid slang and jargon. Use day-to-day vocabulary.
How do you get to communicate effectively across cultures?
Here are our top ten tips for effective cross-cultural communication:
- Maintain etiquette. Many cultures have specific etiquette around the way they communicate.
- Avoid slang.
- Speak slowly.
- Keep it simple.
- Practice active listening.
- Take turns to talk.
- Write things down.
- Avoid closed questions.