What are the steps in the court process in the US?
- Initial Hearing/Arraignment.
- Plea Bargaining.
- Preliminary Hearing.
- Pre-Trial Motions.
How is the court system in America structured?
The federal court system has three main levels: district courts (the trial court), circuit courts which are the first level of appeal, and the Supreme Court of the United States, the final level of appeal in the federal system.
What are the 13 steps of the criminal justice process?
Terms in this set (13)
- Initial appearance.
- preliminary hearing/ grand jury.
- Indictment/ information.
What is the sequence of events in the criminal justice system chart?
The chart summarizes the most common events in the criminal and juvenile justice systems including entry into the criminal justice system, prosecution and pretrial services, adjudication, sentencing and sanctions, and corrections. A discussion of the events in the criminal justice system follows.
What are the 14 steps of a trial?
Terms in this set (14)
- step 1: pre-trial proceedings.
- step 2: jury is selected.
- step 3: opening statement by plaintiff or prosecution.
- step 4: opening statement by defense.
- step 5: direct examination by plaintiff/ prosecution.
- step 6: cross examination by defense.
- step 7: motions to dismiss or ask for a directed verdict.
What are the 5 stages of the criminal justice system?
These five areas are: (1) community and law enforcement, (2) arrest and initial detention including court hearings, (3) jails and specialty courts, (4) reentry, and (5) community corrections.
What are the 4 principles of the American legal system?
Which of the four principles that underlie the operation of the American legal system do you think is the most important? Answers will vary among equal justice, due process, adversary system, and presumption of innocence.
How many court systems are there in the American system?
The United States court system is actually many court systems: a federal system and 50 state systems. Each has its own structures and procedures. All are multi-tiered. Legal cases begin in a lower court and sometimes work their way up to a higher court.
What are 3 major components of the criminal justice system?
THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM CONSISTS OF THE POLICE, THE COURTS, AND CORRECTIONS.
What are the 12 steps of a trial?
12 Steps Of A Trial Flashcards Preview
- Opening statement made by the prosecutor or plaintiff.
- Opening statement made by the defendant.
- Direct examination by plaintiff or prosecutor.
- Cross examination by defense.
- Direct examination by defense.
- Cross examination by prosecutor or plaintiff.
What are the three main types of evidence?
Evidence: Definition and Types Demonstrative evidence; Documentary evidence; and. Testimonial evidence.