How do you make a simple pendulum for a school project?
What to do:
- Tie a weight onto the end of the piece of string.
- Make a loop at the other end of the string.
- Screw the hook into the piece of wood and balance the wood between the backs of two chairs.
- Put the loop of string over the hook.
- Start the weight swinging and time how long it takes to make 20 swings.
What is the aim of simple pendulum experiment?
The goal of this experiment was to determine the effect of mass and length on the period of oscillation of a simple pendulum. Using a photogate to measure the period, we varied the pendulum mass for a fixed length, and varied the pendulum length for a fixed mass.
What is the conclusion of a simple pendulum experiment?
The surprising conclusion – the pendulum traverses a longer distance in a shorter time, than in a shorter distance, and its period is shorter. There are a number of reasons why Galileo thought that the period remains constant.
What is the principle behind the simple pendulum?
Pendulum clocks works on the concept of simple harmonic motion. When a body performs oscillations motion between two ends along a path, then its motion is said to be oscillatory motion.
What is the discussion of simple pendulum?
A simple pendulum consists of a mass m hanging from a string of length L and fixed at a pivot point P. When displaced to an initial angle and released, the pendulum will swing back and forth with periodic motion.
What is the theory of simple pendulum?
How can an experiment improve a pendulum?
Improve the accuracy of a measurement of periodic time by:
- making timings by sighting the bob past a fixed reference point (called a fiducial point )
- sighting the bob as it moves fastest past a reference point. The pendulum swings fastest at its lowest point and slowest at the top of each swing.
How to make a Pendulum science project?
where g = 9.8 m/s is the acceleration due to gravity,
What is the formula for simple pendulum?
T is the period in seconds (s)
How to solve pendulum problems?
The potential energy is simply the sum of the cosine components of both lengths.
What is the simple pendulum experiment?
Simple Pendulum Experiment Report. A simple pendulum may be described ideally as a point mass suspended by a massless string from some point about which it can swing back and forth in a place. A simple pendulum can be approximated by a small metal sphere with a small radius and a large mass compared to the length and mass of the light string