Nicky Oppenheimer

Nicky Oppenheimer Net Worth : $6.7 Billion

Nicholas “Nicky” Oppenheimer is a South African businessman, who was born on June 8, 1945 in Johannesburg, South Africa. He is the son of Harry Oppenheimer and Bridget McCall, and grandson to Ernest Oppenheimer. Nicky studied at Harrow School in England, and later joined Christ Church in Oxford, where he obtained a degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics. He later on took the Oxford MA. 

Nicky currently acts as the chairman of the De Beers Diamond Company, as well as its subsidiary, the Diamond Trading Company. Oppenheimer also has a big financial interest in Anglo America, which is a diversified mining company that was founded by Ernest Oppenheimer, Nicky’s grandfather. Nicky is a wealthy person and currently ranks as the richest person in South Africa and the 205th  richest person in the world, according to Forbes. On March 2014, his wealth was estimated to be $6.7 billion.

Business Ventures

In the year 1999, Nicky collaborated with two of his friends to develop a venture capital firm known as Greene and Partners Investments. This firm has funded a wide range of projects not just in South Africa but in different parts of the African continent as well. Nicky once stated that Africa is suffering from donation fatigue, and that it was in this continent’s interest for donors to instead of just donating money, they should rather invest in projects that are aimed at generating income. This is the very principle in which Greene and Partners Investment was founded.

In 2012, his family opted to sell their 40% stake in De Beers to the diversified mining company, Anglo American. They paid $5.1 billion in cash, bringing Anglo American’s ownership of De Beers to 85%. The remaining 15% is owned by the government of Botswana. Reports indicate that the Oppenheimer family decided to sell De Beers after 85 years of control mainly because there wasn’t a clear descendant in the family to be Nicky’s successor. 

Nicky Oppenheimer served on the Anglo American’s board for 37 years and now owns an estimated 1.8% share in the company. He and his family oversee the management of the Tswalu game reserve in the Kalahari. The game reserve was set up by Nicky’s friend, Stephen Boler.

Criticism 

After the release of the famous movie ‘Blood Diamond’, Oppenheimer was heavily criticized amidst public awareness in the West. 

Personal Life 

He is married to Orcillia Lasch, who’s the daughter of an industrial tycoon known as Helli Lasch. Nicky and Lasch are both Anglican and together have a son namely Jonathan Oppenheimer. Nicky has three residences; one in Johannesburg, another in the UK and another in the United States. He mostly lives on the Brenhurst estate in Johannesburg.

Famous Sayings from Nicky 

“Africa needs a hand-up, not a hand-out”.

"I am an African. I live there and my children live there and as far as I understand they intend to go on living there." 

Interesting Fact about Nicky 

  • Nicky is the only private person that is permitted in the City of London to use a helicopter to commute within one square mile of the city. 
  • He met his partner, Strilli Oppenheimer, at a golf course.

Press Like If You Learnt Something New : )

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton

The material in this site is purely for educational purposes only. In creating this side we have sourced info from many sites and would like to give credit to where it is due.We do not intend to infringe any website's copyrighted material and we use the information for educational purposes and use information that are public in nature and hopefully protected by freedom of information laws. Also, when I created this website years ago, I took many pictures from the internet that may infringe your copyright. I will be slowly taking all these down and if the picture that belongs to you or your company is still there, please drop me an email and I will remove the pictures. If you found that any article in this website infringe your rights please let us know and we will take it down. Thanks.


References:

Forbes (The ultimate site for billionaire rankings)

CelebrityNetWorth (The ultimate site for net worth of celebrities)

TheRichest (Great site for things about money and rich people)

Wikipedia (Greatest site on earth for lots of information)