Hubert Burda

Hubert Burda is a German publisher and art historian who has an estimated net worth of $2.5 billion. He is the owner and CEO of Hubert Burda Media which, to its credit, publishes more than 300 magazines across the world including the hugely popular Bunte, Freundin & Focus in Germany. He is the President of the Verband Deutscher Zeitschriftenverleger or the Association of German Magazine Publisher.

He is also the co-founder of the European Publisher Council or EPC. In addition to all these, Burda is also the Chairman of the Council of Ludwig Maximilians University, the Council Member of World Economic Forum or WEF and he also founded the Hubert Burda Center for Innovative Communications at the Ben-Gurion University in Israel.

Hubert Burda has achieved phenomenal success in business and publishing and he has received numerous awards for his achievements in these fields. He has won the highly prestigious European Print Media Prize and in 2002 he was the bestowed with the title of honorary Professor by the Minister-President of Baden-Wurttemberg.  

Hubert was born in Heidelburg and he is the youngest of the 3 sons of his parents, Franz & Aenne Burda. He graduated from Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich with Sociology and Art History as his subjects. The Hubert Burda Media Group first entered the market almost 100 years ago as a family business which was highly specialized in printing. It has been a long journey since then and now it is regarded as one of the biggest companies in Germany.

In 2012 the firm lifted its stakes in XING AG to almost 59%. For the records, XING AG is a professional social network which is very similar to LinkedIn. Burda has huge ambitions and he dreams of competing against the bigwigs like Google, Amazon & Apple instead of the local German media firms like Axel Springer AG & Gruner + Jar.  

When the revenue of the company exceeded $3.5 billion, Burda decided to transfer 40% of the shares of the company to his children, Elizabeth & Jacob, who were only in their twenties then. He still owns the remaining 60% and his net worth does not include the share of his children. 

Hubert Burda is very well known for his philanthropic activities. In 2001 he established the Felix Burda Foundation in memory of his deceased son, Felix, from his first marriage. The Foundation actively works towards early detection and prevention of colon cancer, the same ailment from which his son Felix died at the age of 33.

The organization is totally committed towards reducing the number of deaths from colon cancer in Germany. Burda also set up the Burda Academy of the Third Millennium which is an interdisciplinary forum for researchers and thinkers.  Burda also supports Shoah Foundation which is the brainchild of Steven Spielberg.

In 1999 He was awarded the Leo Baeck Prize for his untiring efforts to bring about reconciliation among the Jewish and German communities. On the personal front he got married to Christa Maar who died in 1972 and then he married the well known German actress, Maria Furtwangler in 1991. 

Press Like If You Learnt Something New : )

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton

The material in this site is purely for educational purposes only. In creating this side we have sourced info from many sites and would like to give credit to where it is due.We do not intend to infringe any website's copyrighted material and we use the information for educational purposes and use information that are public in nature and hopefully protected by freedom of information laws. Also, when I created this website years ago, I took many pictures from the internet that may infringe your copyright. I will be slowly taking all these down and if the picture that belongs to you or your company is still there, please drop me an email and I will remove the pictures. If you found that any article in this website infringe your rights please let us know and we will take it down. Thanks.


References:

Forbes (The ultimate site for billionaire rankings)

CelebrityNetWorth (The ultimate site for net worth of celebrities)

TheRichest (Great site for things about money and rich people)

Wikipedia (Greatest site on earth for lots of information)