20 Facts About Steven Spielberg That Will Surprise You
Steven Spielberg is a household name in Hollywood. The director, screenwriter, producer has been in the business forever and has a net worth of $3.3 billion. He came into prominence directing everlasting movies such as Schindler’s List, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, Jaws, E.T the Extra Terrestrial. His movies have grossed over $8.5 billion worldwide. He possesses the midas touch and anything that he is a part of, commands worldwide attention. It is not a surprise that a man of his stature sparks interest from people all over. A list has been compiled below, possessing facts about Steven Spielberg that is bound to surprise!
- His movies have grossed over $8.5 billion worldwide. Some of the blockbusters he has been a part of are E.T the Extra Terrestrial, Schindler’s List, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Jaws, Indiana Jones franchise etc. He has a fortune of $3.3 billion.
- The man has been lauded with the Academy Awards. He has won 2 Academy Awards for Best Director. The first movie that landed him an Oscar was Schindler’s List; the second Academy came for his direction of the movie Saving Private Ryan.
- One short movie was enough for Universal Pictures to sign Spielberg on a 7 year contract. The short movie was Amblin and it was released in 1968.
- Before making blockbusters that hit the theatres, he was making movies for television. One of his earliest works for Television is Duel (1971). Sugarland Express is his first full length feature film; it was released in 1974.
- Steven Spielberg’s divorce to actress Amy Irving is one of the ugliest and costliest divorces in the entertainment industry. Amy received $100 million in the settlement. A prenuptial agreement which was inscribed on a napkin was deemed void by the judge. During that time, the divorce was placed 3rd on the list of costliest celebrity divorce.
- Magazines regularly place Steven at the helm of their most powerful and influential figure in the motion picture industry list.
- Steven Spielberg is the proud father of 7 children and is currently married to actress Kate Capshaw. He met her on the sets of Indiana Jones and the Temple Doom. They tied the knot in October 12, 1991 to a grand celebration.
- He didn’t take any salary for his work on Schindler’s List. He considered the money he would make from the movie to be blood money. Wondering if the Oscar he bagged for Schindler’s List is Blood Oscar?
- Even the great Steven Spielberg has been denied of an opportunity to direct a Bond movie. He was rejected twice early in his career. This feather in his cap will only further cement his place in the Hollywood greats.
- A 16 year old Steven Spielberg wrote and filmed the movie Firelight on a $500 budget. The movie earned $501. It gave a profit of $1!
- Before the PG 13 rating saw light, Steven was pulling all strings to get it introduced. Red Dawn was the first movie distributed with a PG 13 rating.
- Steven Spielberg has bought several Academy awards and donated them to preserve film history.
- Spielberg was one of the creative forces behind the development of the first Medal of Honor game.
- He shares his birthday,18 December, with several celebrities such as Brad Pitt, Christina Aguilera, Katie Holmes and Rachel Griffiths.
- The man has produced over 129 movies and 7 of them are in the list of Highest Grossing Hollywood movies of all time.
- Steven Spielberg also has special responsibilities as a Godfather. He is Drew Barrymore’s and Gwyneth Paltrow’s Godfather.
- Besides Richard Dreyfuss, Tom Hanks and Harrison Ford, Spielberg’s cocker spaniel, Elmer, has also been a part of several of his movies.
- One of the first movies Spielberg watched was The Greatest Show on Earth. The movie was an Oscar winner.
- Spielberg has been suffering from Dyslexia since he was a kid. Other famous celebrities who suffer from the same fate are Tom Cruise, Patrick Dempsey, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightly and Jay Leno etc.
- Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg don’t get along as much as suggested. Unlike Tom, Spielberg is not a firm supporter of Scientology.
Press Like If You Learnt Something New : )
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton
The material in this site is purely for educational purposes only. In creating this side we have sourced info from many sites and would like to give credit to where it is due.We do not intend to infringe any website's copyrighted material and we use the information for educational purposes and use information that are public in nature and hopefully protected by freedom of information laws. Also, when I created this website years ago, I took many pictures from the internet that may infringe your copyright. I will be slowly taking all these down and if the picture that belongs to you or your company is still there, please drop me an email and I will remove the pictures. If you found that any article in this website infringe your rights please let us know and we will take it down. Thanks.
Forbes (The ultimate site for billionaire rankings)
CelebrityNetWorth (The ultimate site for net worth of celebrities)
TheRichest (Great site for things about money and rich people)
Wikipedia (Greatest site on earth for lots of information)