Alisher Usmanov is a Russian tycoon and a self-made billionaire, who built his vast wealth through lumber operations, investments and mining. According to Forbes Magazine and Sunday Times, Usmanov is the richest person in Russia. His wealth is estimated to amount to $17.6 billion.
Net Worth: $17.6 Billion (As of March 2013)
Source: Mining, Telecom, Investments, Self-Made
Born: September 9, 1953 (Age 60)
Residence: Moscow, Russia
Marital Status: Married
Alisher Usmanov was born on September 9, 1953 in a provincial town of Chust. He later joined Moscow State Institute of International Relations from which he graduated with a degree in international law in 1976. Today, he is one of the wealthiest people in the World, and his net worth is estimated to be $17.6 billion.
In 2011, Forbes named him the richest person in Russia and the 28th richest person in the world with an estimated net worth of $18.1 billion. In 2012, Bloomberg Billionaires Index ranked him as the 39th richest person in the world with an estimated wealth of $17.3 billion. In 2013, Forbes Magazine and the Sunday Times named him as the richest person in Russia with an estimated net worth of $17.6 billion.
- He is the founder and majority shareholder of Metalloinvest, which is a Russian Industrial multinational company that was established to control Gazprom’s metal interests.
- He co-owns the media holding company that consists of media companies such as Muz-TV federal television channels, 7TV and thirty three TV broadcasting stations.
- He is also the co-owner of MegaFon, which is the 2nd largest mobile telephone operator in Russia.
- He is also the co-owner of Mail.ru, which is the largest internet company in Russia.
- He is the owner of Sekret Firmy and Kommersant Publishing Houses.
- He is the President of the international body of fencing, FIE.
- He is a major shareholder in Arsenal FC.
- He is the Chairman of Gazprominvest Holdings
- He is the owner of Cyprus-Registered Gallagher Holdings.
- He is the principal shareholder of Nautilus Minerals.
- He is an active member of the Board of Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs.
- He is the Chairman of the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs Committee.
In 1980, Usmanov was apprehended against fraud charges in Uzbek SSR and was sentenced to 8 years in prison. He was, however, incarcerated for six years after his sentence was vacated by the Supreme Court in 2000. The court ruled that the initial conviction was undeserved, the evidence was formulated and that no crime was committed.
Usmanov is married to Irina Viner, who is a rhythmic gymnastics coach. In 1997, he joined the Academy of Finance to study banking. Usmanov is the owner of Sutton Place, which is a home that belonged to J Paul Getty. He also owns a £48 Million mansion in London.
Interesting Facts about Usmanov
He shares his birthday (September 9) with Adam Sandler (American Actor) and Kristen Hermosa (Philippine Actress). He was born in the same year (1953) as Tony Blair (former UK Prime Minister), Hulk Hogan (former Wrestler) and Pierce Brosnan (James Bond Star).
You might also be interested in...
Return from Alisher Usmanov to Richest People In Russia
Press Like If You Learnt Something New : )
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton
The material in this site is purely for educational purposes only. In creating this side we have sourced info from many sites and would like to give credit to where it is due.We do not intend to infringe any website's copyrighted material and we use the information for educational purposes and use information that are public in nature and hopefully protected by freedom of information laws. Also, when I created this website years ago, I took many pictures from the internet that may infringe your copyright. I will be slowly taking all these down and if the picture that belongs to you or your company is still there, please drop me an email and I will remove the pictures. If you found that any article in this website infringe your rights please let us know and we will take it down. Thanks.
Forbes (The ultimate site for billionaire rankings)
CelebrityNetWorth (The ultimate site for net worth of celebrities)
TheRichest (Great site for things about money and rich people)
Wikipedia (Greatest site on earth for lots of information)